SITTING IN THE U-BEND


“I was just sitting in the U-bend, thinking about death…”
-J. K. Rowling, Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets

Better a live dog, sayeth Ecclesiastes
than a dead lion, and even then
there is only eating and drinking,
nature, art, Indra’s net of illusion,
and being merry, all the rest is shadow
except death, beyond which only
the low deep note of nothing
resounds down the archives of forever
as the river meanders to the estuary.
As Kerry Packer said from the hereafter:
“There’s fucking nothing there…”

Me, I’m mercenary and venal, I am,
I talk love and feeling the way
a parrot does, “pretty Polly”, wanting
only for the universe to serve
my happiness, but then you, perhaps
this is growth, fresh green willow
out of the ruins of a fallen house
which hurts like hell, but to me

is more precious than any pleasure.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

THE DEATH OF MARION DU FRESNE AT THE BAY OF ISLANDS, NEW ZEALAND, 12 JUNE 1772, BY CHARLES MÉRYON (1846-1848)

THINKING ABOUT LUKE WILLIS THOMPSON

WHY PETER GILDERDALE CAN GET STUFFED