AT THE MOVIES

I find bright phone screens hugely distracting in a dark cinema.
I didn't pay money to be distracted by their phones,
So into this sacred, communal modern-day Ephesus am I,
like a lemon heavy and one with its own tartness.

What is to become of me, drowning in this close darkness?
That piercing little window of hand-cupped light
preventing transcendence and oneness with the giant
gods and goddesses on screen, preventing me

from casting off the twist of painful self-awareness
for a petty hour or so, that the screen become radioactive
with love; would that those her gathered as one
in the love of the many, and tear them limb from limb


as a sacrifice to the escapist lie of a dead world hidden
behind retinal screens of ice and shadows.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

THE DEATH OF MARION DU FRESNE AT THE BAY OF ISLANDS, NEW ZEALAND, 12 JUNE 1772, BY CHARLES MÉRYON (1846-1848)

THINKING ABOUT LUKE WILLIS THOMPSON

WHY PETER GILDERDALE CAN GET STUFFED