TIBI DABO



It doesn’t hurt, is merely present,
the long, longing shadow of your absence.

I dig the worm out of the still firm pear
pre-bite, with a thumbnail stained yellow
from the turmeric rice I made last night.

The juices of the pear, though insipid sweet,
sour my cuticle, irritate the nail bed.

In my mouth the floury, crystalline flesh
barricades itself against my tongue

in a cracked tooth that I can’t afford to fix.
It doesn’t hurt, is merely present.

The juices of the pear, though insipid sweet
are tart to the tongue, puckers gums,
vegetable snow stolen from a grub.

Mine now, the size of a clenched fist, heart,

gorging until the juice runs down my chin.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

THE DEATH OF MARION DU FRESNE AT THE BAY OF ISLANDS, NEW ZEALAND, 12 JUNE 1772, BY CHARLES MÉRYON (1846-1848)

THINKING ABOUT LUKE WILLIS THOMPSON

NOT EVERYONE LOVES JOJO RABBIT: A LIST OF LINKS