R U OK?

No, don’t worry about me – I’ll be fine –
I’ll survive - the Happy Prince flensed of gold leaf,
the Good Thief that got into Heaven and robbed
God blind, the freezing South Sea Islander
in the Arctic – I will get by, by and by.

The one drunk left amid the benches
so you don’t have to, the badly painted ikon
of no-one’s favourite saint – this I do for you,
Captain Oates going on a no-prandial passageata,
Harlequin with a Kalashnikov – think of me,

but do not pity me nursing my fresh flesh wounds
and the sky explodes and the walls fall in;
the star that lights my path is somewhat dim,
being tarnished tinsel – I’ll muddle on…

And in any case, I’ll be fine…

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

THE DEATH OF MARION DU FRESNE AT THE BAY OF ISLANDS, NEW ZEALAND, 12 JUNE 1772, BY CHARLES MÉRYON (1846-1848)

THINKING ABOUT LUKE WILLIS THOMPSON

NOT EVERYONE LOVES JOJO RABBIT: A LIST OF LINKS