LOVE POEM WITHOUT A BELOVED



Nor’wester rip-roars through the tossing beach boles
like we’re on the coral-crofted floor of the green ocean
or I am and you’re not here or I haven’t met you yet
and the threat of memories of meeting you are chains
of incredible sweetness, of permanent sensations
with you who has been here or has not come
though I wait for you, as I wait for the old year to die
and a new one to be born from its ashes, the sweet
is sour, the light is cold, and the hour has yet to strike.
I will drain the bottomless goblet of dread for you
and in the lees find a diamond reflecting glory and desire
back like a mirror o hour I don’t wish to meet again
as the minutes count down to a revelation or Revelations.
The future is the sire of the past ripening in its womb
and the past is a miscarriage growing septic in the future,
is a bellyful of mouldering Autumn leaves as winter
closes in during the dreams of a midsummer’s night.
I bear you on my back, I bear you everywhere
like a heavy shadow that shatters stones beneath it.
For you I will die and a new person emerge from the rot,
my shadow, my dumbshow, my reflection inverted
in dark water, and I wait for you to enter my life
as the sparrow flies into the warm house from the dead winter
and out again: come displace emptiness that it become
mere tolerable solitude as the days of white flame gold,
burning azure and asphalt blue have forgotten me.
Ahead loom life’s vast titan innuendos and fidget-wheel busyness.
In shifting time obdurate granite is as malleable
as potter’s clay slapped like a liar on the wheel.
Universe, verso, one everything rolled into one,
a unified verse, a single song, a stanza, a multiverse, a choir,

the omniverse, the all.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

THE DEATH OF MARION DU FRESNE AT THE BAY OF ISLANDS, NEW ZEALAND, 12 JUNE 1772, BY CHARLES MÉRYON (1846-1848)

THINKING ABOUT LUKE WILLIS THOMPSON

NOT EVERYONE LOVES JOJO RABBIT: A LIST OF LINKS